Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Sources of Hope

A little less than a year ago, a man was elected to be president of the United States because he promised to bring hope and peace to a nation that was hurting and becoming chaotic. This man soothed many people’s fears by promising to do the impossible and restore order in a hurry. This man, Barack Obama, has not brought hope to the world, and many are now disappointed in him.

I find it interesting that people can so easily put their faith in a man who is no more capable of restoring order to a quickly deteriorating culture than they, themselves are. Why should we trust any human being when we know they are no more proficient than ourselves?

As a Christian, my faith has been tested by the inauguration of a president who I oppose completely. The decisions he has made have not lined up with God’s word, and are not restoring order. I have asked God in my prayers why he would put such a man into office. But then I remember. I am not putting my hope in a mortal, I am putting it in God Almighty.

I know God has put President Obama in a position of power for a reason, whether or not I think it is a good idea. God is in control, and I can put my hope in Him, alone. Although I do not know why God would let a man make the decision to fund abortions overseas with taxpayer’s money, I know there is a reason.

I have a hard time respecting President Obama because of the decisions he’s made. Just last week, he won the Nobel Peace Prize, even though he has not done anything amazing or peaceful. If the millions of babies aborted each year could vote, do you think they would vote for a man who has furthered the murder of innocent babies? I highly doubt it. President Obama did not deserve the Nobel, but he accepted it anyway.

It is things like this that make me angry and upset. How could he accept such a high honor, even though he has not done anything remarkable besides become president? How he could he be so prideful?

And then I stumbled upon this verse: “Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God,” Romans 13:1. Once more, God brings me back to the fact that HE has placed President Obama in a position of power! God does have a reason, even if I don’t see it yet.

Psalm 25:5 is an excellent verse about hope: “Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.” This verse also points me back to God, for my hope is in HIM! I no longer have to be discouraged because of the leaders that are governing America… I am not trusting them to rule my country, I am trusting God, the Savior of the world to guide and lead me!

Although I have strayed from my typical blogs about standing up for what is right and being different, this is a topic that has been heavy on my heart. Remember to put your hope in God, and not in this world.

Psalm 42:11, “Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my SAVIOR and my GOD!”

1 comment:

  1. Good post, Molly. I recommend reading: http://aministerswife.blogspot.com/2009/10/on-wrong-side.html
    (with your parents' okay, that is).
    She's a good friend--someone I went to college with, and I think you'll enjoy her perspective.

    ReplyDelete