Sunday, February 1, 2009

My Dad is Awesome!

Guess what my dad did today? He took me and my sister to the father-daughter dance (Butterfly Kisses) at the Lincoln Center DURING THE SUPER BOWL. My dad may not be the biggest football fan, but it still made me feel good.

This has been a tradition in my family for the last eleven years. On Super Bowl Sunday for the past eleven years, my dad has taken me to Butterfly Kisses to show me how much he loves me. When my sister was born, he offered to take us to two separate dances so as to preserve our alone time with him, but we decided to go together.

These past eleven dances have been the highlight of my year with my dad. I love spending time with him, and I love that he wants to spend that time with me.
Last week, Dad pulled Lexi and I into the living room and bent on one knee. He pulled out the tickets to the dance from his pocket, and asked us if we would go with him. Do you know what he is trying to teach me? He’s trying to show me how a man or boy should treat me when I am old enough to court (which according to him is thirty-five). He doesn’t do it just because it’s a tradition! He does it because he wants me to set my standards high so I don’t settle for a man that is not meant to be my husband.

My dad has taught me so many things. He’s taught me how to change the oil in the car (yes, I really do know how), do a job well (he is Mr. Perfectionist!), how to understand the subject of Economics, and lots of current events. But the most important thing he has taught me is what to expect from a guy. Because I have his example, I don’t give a second thought to those who are not up to my standards.

So many teenage girls do not have a father figure in their life. Whether it is through divorce, death, or something else, these girls have a higher chance of settling for just any boy. A dad’s influence in his daughter’s life is so very important. Without this, a girl will not know what to look for in a husband.

My dad is a great example of respectfulness toward women. I love watching him with my mom. He makes a point to kiss her as soon as he comes home from work, he buys her thoughtful gifts, and he tells her she is beautiful (which she is). My dad shows me how my husband should treat me when I get married. I hope to find someone just like my dad when I grow up. He is such a good man, who has set a great example for me.

Thank you, Dad, for being there for me whenever I need you. You have shown me the importance of finding the right man, and how to set my expectations high. Thank you for building up my self-confidence by frequently telling me I look beautiful. It may seem small on your part, but it means the world to me. I love you, Dad, and hope to dance with you at Butterfly Kisses for many years to come. You’re the best, and I love you very much.

Here are the pictures from before the dance:

Lexi, Dad, and Me.

We love you, Dad!

Excited for the dance!

The dog wanted to pose, too :)

Do I look stupid in this picture?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my stars Molly! I'm tearing up! What a beautiful expression of a beautiful girl's love for her dad! God is doing amazing things through you and your family!

    Love you!

    Sadie

    Oh, btw, you look gorgeous!!! Did Lexi get a haircut? It looks really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes... you do look stupid in that picture... just kididing! Nice pictures

    --Noah

    ReplyDelete