Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Five Things I Have Learned (while working at a fast food restaurant!)

In May, I interviewed twice for a job at a Christian fast food restaurant. I was in need of a job, and this seemed like a perfect situation. God blessed me with the job, and I have enjoyed it immensely. Throughout this new experience, I have learned many things; some good, some bad.

#1 – Parent’s with Children

Mom’s and Dad’s with Children are very appreciative when you carry their food to their table. This is a rule at my company, and I have gotten much gratitude from overwhelmed parents because of it. When a mom walks in with children, we automatically tell them that they can take a seat and we will bring it to their table. I have even been asked by one dad if I would watch his kids for a few minutes while he went back to the car to look for his wallet!

#2 – Efforts of the Customers

I have encountered many cranky, cantankerous customers, and I certainly can’t wait until I no longer have to deal with them. Every now and then, however, a customer will make a point to call me by name and ask how I am doing. It doesn’t matter if they know me or not, they just know that I make an effort to be cheerful and welcoming, so they try to reciprocate the feeling. It makes my day when someone makes a point to ask how I am doing… Most people tend to want to get through ordering right away, instead of be polite and friendly.

#3 – Two Different Attitudes

There are two kinds of people that come to my register: those who are impatient and difficult, and those who are the exact opposite. I love dealing with customers who are polite, but I dread dealing with someone who is impatient. I try to be sweet and calm with everyone, but let me tell you, it is NOT always easy! I am not the fastest employee (although I do try), and I have had many people ask me what the holdup is with their order. I had one lady tell me to make her ice cream “faster next time!” I always feel terrible after encounters like this, and make sure to do better. It is obvious that people either choose to be patient and willing to wait, or demanding and unreasonable. It’s no wonder why people can be so cranky!

#4 – Messed Up Orders

I have been known on occasion to mess orders up. I do not do it on purpose, and it is not always my fault, but it has been known to happen. My company’s policy is to assume that the customer is always right, even when it is obvious that they are not. One day, I messed up a lady’s order and she asked to speak with the manager. I was extremely anxious, but my manager came over to me, explained the situation, and asked for my side of the story. Thankfully, I did not get into any trouble (it wasn’t even my fault), but the lady was extremely angry with me. Several weeks ago, another woman’s order got overlooked, and she waited around for ten minutes. I finally looked up and realized that she had not gotten her food. I went over to her and apologized profusely, afraid that she would be very angry, and she just looked at me and said, “It’s alright, honey! I’m not going to bite you! I’ll be coming back again, don’t you worry.” I was extremely grateful, and finally made her order right, but I was absolutely thrilled that she was not angry. It is very difficult to work with upset customers, but patient customers are truly a blessing!

#5 – Hard Work Pays Off

I love my job, and dearly want to keep it through college, so I have made a point to always work hard. Several of my managers have complimented me on always keeping busy, and I have maintained a perfect change count since I have worked there. The owner and operator of my store once told me I was amazing. Because I have dedicated myself to working hard and not being lazy, God has blessed me. I am not afraid of being fired, because I know my managers and operator appreciate my work. When a manager corrects me, I take it to heart and make an earnest effort to fix it, instead of ignore it.

I have learned so much through my job, and look forward to working because of the environment and opportunities to do great things for God. Although it can sometimes be difficult, I enjoy the new experiences and challenges that it brings.

1 comment:

  1. Molly! Fast food is one of the greatest life experiences you can have. It is great training for any future job, and I know the company you work for is an exceptional one.

    If you're ever interested in working part time at a children's party facility, let me know. Being a manager, I know how valuable it is to have someone with good character who works hard on the team. :)

    ReplyDelete