Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Another Layer, Another Lesson

As the beginning of a new year rolls around, I often contemplate what I have learned over the past year. Most of the time, I find that God has shown me many things and I have either chosen to learn them or ignore them.

While my family was driving home from church this week, I was looking at the road which was becoming quite rough and had many potholes. Now, this road had been fixed two years ago, and I was surprised that it was already so bad. I then began thinking about how the road is often like my spiritual connection with God. I begin in a state that I believe is perfect, and yet God wears down the layers of sin that still coat my life. It may make my road a little bumpier, but in the end it is all for good. Like the cars that have worn down the road near my house, God has worn away the layers of evil that I have failed to recognize.

Through all this “wearing away”, God teaches me lessons in trust and prayer. All lessons revert back to the Bible, and I can choose whether or not I want to accept this lesson from God. Sadly, I do still ignore a great many teachings from Him, because I am scared of what they will do to my life. And yet, when I take a big step in God’s direction, He rewards me with a strengthened relationship with Him.

So what have I learned this year? I have learned:

-A- How to work hard.

My job has taught me more about a strong work ethic than anything else ever has. Working in a place where everyone is in a different mood has helped me come out of my shy shell every now and then and be a friendly, smiling employee. I am so thankful for my job, and hope to continue there through college.

-B- To have God’s joy!

I think one of the most important things I have learned this year is to find joy in every situation. Although I do not always succeed, I know that God’s joy radiates through the happy and sad. Smiling most definitely comes from God, and I aim to use this gift often! Like my sweet cousin Esther, I want to laugh and smile through everything.

-C- To trust Him in everything.

Through the many good times this year, bad times have been lightly sprinkled. Throughout these times I have questioned God and wondered when He will come through for me, and every time I am reverted back to the Bible and its many answers. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding…” Proverbs 3:5, has become my rock that I cling to.

-D- To pray through all.

When 2009 began, my prayer life was practically non-existent. It was not because of the lack of time I had, rather it was because I chose not to pray. I decided to remedy that, and I have found strength through my newfound prayer life. I have a long list on my desk, and I every time I think to pray, I look at that list and ask God to fulfill that person with His all-consuming love. This has been a very good technique, and I have loved growing even closer to God.
This year has been one filled with joy and God’s light, and I am so thankful to be beginning another year where God will teach me even more! I look forward to His lessons, and am thankful that He is slowly wearing away the layers of sin that once engulfed me.

May your new year be filled with happiness and God’s presence!

Psalm 25:5, “Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Saviour, and my hope is in you all day long!”

No comments:

Post a Comment